Getting Ready for Your Visit
Plan your field trip. It's easy and free.*
Due to the popularity of school group visits, reservations must be made in advance and in writing. Your visit is not guaranteed until you have received a confirmation letter, which should arrive by fax and e-mail (or mail, if requested) in seven to ten days. If you don’t receive a confirmation letter, call 312-642-4600.
* All Illinois school groups are admitted free of charge. Out-of-state groups are charged discounted admission. See the reservation form for details.
- Plan to spend two to three hours at the Museum including lunch. Visits begin at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Request 30-minute lunchroom seating (available for up to grade 8). Students bring their own lunches and beverages; storage provided.
- Indicate the size of your group. Maximum group size is 120.
- Secure chaperones. We require one adult for every ten students in grade 3 and above. For groups in grades Pre-K–2 we require a one adult for every five children. Each adult exceeding these ratios will be charged $7.
- Divide your students into groups of 10 prior to arriving at the Museum. A map of the Museum will be prepared for each group leader.
- Place medical supplies and emergency information in a small hand-held or shoulder bag (please note that backpacks are not allowed in exhibition spaces).
- All Illinois school groups are admitted free of charge. Out-of-state groups are charged discounted admission. See the chart below for details.*
You will need Adobe® Reader®, which is a free application, to download and view these documents.
History à la Cart Schedule
For more flexibility during your visit, all stations are accessible on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please note: Although we try to stick to this schedule as closely as possible, we occasionally may have to substitute one station for another.
Field trips to the Chicago History Museum align with state and national standards for literacy, science, and social science.
- History à la Cart activity stations
- Self-Guided Gallery Activities
- Student Workshops
Pre- and Post-visit resources
Use our online resources to prepare your students for their field trip or as part of a post-visit wrap-up. These resources are easy to adapt for students of all ages and align with state and national learning standards.